It's been a week since we relaunched My Damn Channel. We're 90-95% of where we need to be with the new redesign. We're attacking that last 5-10% with the help of loyal co-cons writing and attacking us with ideas to fix last fixes. We're also gathering your hit lists for additional ideas to make your house and this new Enterprise more 'be all.'
The new Star Trek entered our brains the same night as our relaunch.
The amount of online communication bout our fave TV franchise is staggering.
Full disclosure - before we continue - somewhere here - in a box - there are 79 memorex audio cassettes - the ones with the 2 little white things in 'em - holding the recordings of every single original episode of the series - taped by a little fat white kid - off the speaker on the tiny TV in our kitchen back in Fort Lee, NJ. When you listen closely - you can hear Mom YELLING: "DINNER!" And you can hear me YELLING back: "SHUT UP! I'M TAPING "STAR TREK!!!'"
If you published any form of digital media in the past week, you're likely part of a mass collective of humans who are 'one' with the 43 year-old phenom of Star Trek.
Here then - a list - to ask ourselves WHY:
Star Trek Assumptions:
1. We need to believe in heroes and in the possibility that we are capable of heroic acts.
2. The future needs an organizing principle to deliver answers we seek.
3. We long for the past while embracing the future.
4. Obama reminds us of Spock.
5. Kirk represents the ideal leader (or father figure, brother, husband, best friend, lawyer, coach, boss, starship captain.)
6. We want to have sex with a green-skinned goddess.
7. We like to see things explode.
8. We like to sit in dark rooms and fantasize with an about others.
10. Nerd is the new black.
Found this amazing video yesterday of William Shatner being made to watch the new movie trailer. Watch his face: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDEJXdEcV7U